Sunday, September 16, 2012

Steve Walker 09-16-12


For 27 of the past 30 years, the person who has influenced my spiritual life and ministry most powerfully has done so long-distance.

 I met Steve Walker when I was a senior in college, and we have been friends and accountability Steve Walker partners ever since, maintaining a bi-weekly discipline of opening our lives to one another--despite living in different states for all but three years of the last three decades. (Since 1989, Steve has been the lead pastor of Redeemer's Fellowship in Roseburg, OR.)

Steve and I also have tried to spend a few days together each year to dig deeper than is possible in one-hour phone calls. This week, we met in Boston, and I talked him into extending his stay in New England to spend some time with our elders and to join us for a Sunday service. I am looking forward to introducing him to you, and I know you will be nourished by his teaching ministry.